Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to Join Nation’s Largest Military Veterans Service Organization
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WHO: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti will join Hollywood Post 43 of the American Legion--the nation's largest wartime veterans service organization--at an induction ceremony along with 20 fellow veterans during a meeting of the post, Monday, Nov. 20.
WHAT: Hollywood Post 43 is growing its membership at a record pace and will induct 20 new members at its next meeting. Among the newest class of Legionnaires will be Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti.
WHEN: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 7:00 p.m. (Dinner at 6:00)
WHERE: American Legion Hollywood Post 43, 2035 N. Highland Ave., Los Angeles
Garcetti joined the Navy Reserve in 2005 and currently serves as a lieutenant in the United States Navy Reserve Information Dominance Corps.
• The American Legion is the nation’s largest wartime veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service members and veterans.
• Hollywood Post 43 has been a central part of civic, business, and social life in Los Angeles for nearly 100 years. Members have included classic Hollywood figures Clark Gable, Gene Autry, Mickey Rooney, Red Buttons, Ronald Reagan, Charlton Heston, Stan Lee, and many more. Today, with more than 1,000 members, Post 43 is a growing community of Los Angeles veterans dedicated to fellowship and service to our veterans, the community, state, and nation.
• In 2013, Garcetti created the Mayor’s Office of Veterans Affairs -the first in the City of Los Angeles since World War II- to work collaboratively with government agencies and community based organizations to advocate for and coordinate services for veterans in Los Angeles.
• The Mayor’s Grandfather, Salvador Garcetti, served in the U.S. Army during World War II
• Los Angeles is home to the highest concentration of military veterans in the country.
Media Contact: Michael Hjelmstad | (310) 699-6404 | email@example.com